ShotaCat

🚬
Administrator
Scanlations Team
Butt Bux
฿82,671
Enta Jinnai Kazuki Yasaka Toi Kuji Ikki
Hello,

The upgrade to Xenforo 2 was successful for the most part. It's taking longer to theme the board than it did to actually upgrade the software. The old theme is not compatible with XF2, which I already knew. For now, we have a Halloween theme to stare at and I will throw up a simple dark and light theme within the next 24 hours. There are a few things that are missing because those need some TLC, but they're being worked on and will make their appearance soon as well.

- Themes: Halloween theme for now, a few simpler themes to come, along with others afterwards.
- UI Stuff: There are a lot of graphical things that need to be fixed, but I'm working on them.
- Donation wall, page, etc: Donator info and functions will return soon as well, it just requires some polish.
- Frontpage portal: XF2 has drastically changed the way it works, so it will take some major time to redo it, if I decide to keep it around.

So, I'm sure a lot of people are scratching their heads over why the upgrade was even necessary and what the point is. I'll try to answer that as best I can. The gist of it is we were running a pretty old version of XenForo and it had fallen behind the times. XenForo developers decided to remake XenForo 2 from scratch, so it wasn't as easy as just "upgrading" to a new version with everything intact. Plugins, themes, core functions were completely rewritten. I decided to wait on migrating to XF2 for a pretty long time for a few reasons. One reason is the cards and credits system we use was an absolute headache to deal with and I had to do a lot of research and testing to make sure it would survive a migration. It's one of the most complex parts of the board and it is very easy to break.

While I do like the cards system, after I implemented it on the board, I had a lot of regrets about it. However, I didn't want to yank it away if it could be helped. Thus, I waited forever for XF2 and various other things to mature enough and be in a stable state. Personally, it was very hard to motivate myself to look after the site when feeling trapped with XF1 and wanting to do other things that weren't possible at the time. Being able to finally upgrade to XF2 is definitely a relief and I feel like I can come back and start doing more for the site as a whole.

I spent the last week or so doing backup and restore drills in case everything fell apart today. There might still be bugs and glitches I haven't found before. You can run things in a test environment until you're blue in the face but it will never be the same as production. So, if you see weird things, feel free to PM me the info.

Anyways, with all that being said, I feel confident in finally coming back to the site and putting up massive amounts of content in a more organized and easy to find fashion, along with pushing several quality of life upgrades very soon.

Stay tuned.

UsagiBoy

The Fallen Child
Determination
Donor
Supreme Bunny Overlord
Butt Bux
฿100,111
Maruruk Natt Reg Reg
9 hours of tedious labour, thanks SC.

Butt Bux
฿38,747
Torajiro Ben Dipper Hinata
I had just gotten out of bed when I checked this site, and for a minute I thought I was still asleep and dreaming. :D My avatar looks a little wider than it ought to be, but nobody but me would notice that, and everything else looks pretty good. Thanks ever so for all the work you put into keep our little island of safety up and running.:red-fox-love:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom