Not open for further replies.

ShotaCat

🚬
Administrator
Scanlations Team
Butt Bux
฿82,700
Enta Jinnai Kazuki Yasaka Toi Kuji Ikki
Within a day or so, we'll be moving everything over to a new host. I've purchased a new server in the Netherlands and have been testing it for the past couple of weeks. Everything has been really painless moving data over and doing test runs of everything.

The downtime should be minimal during the move. A couple of hours for most, maybe a few more as DNS propagates for others.
You can find news about the move as we do it live at twitter. Chat will also be unaffected.

We're not moving because of any legal drama, just let me be clear on that. Every time we've suffered downtime it seems like a good portion of people who ask me about it usually jump to that conclusion. We're moving because our current host (DreamHost), sucks. Recently, we moved over to a brand new dedicated server at DreamHost, expecting that to solve a lot of our technical woes. It did not. In fact, we've gone through more Hell with their new machines than we have in the past. The explosion we experienced a couple of months ago was sparked by DreamHost, when on day 1 of the move, their machine experienced a hardware failure. They did a number of things that made life way harder than it should have been. So many things happened during those 3 days of downtime that I seriously considered walking away from it all. I should have moved then, but I was hopeful that things would get better or...something. I dunno. Our host is expensive for what they offer. We should not be paying this much per month when we have this much downtime or trouble.

I've stood by DreamHost for a number of years now mostly because of their terms of service and legal policies. They've been really good about defining exactly what they will and will not allow. They've also been pretty good about dealing with complaints, and DMCA reports. However, lately, they've even been stressing me out over some of those things as well. So, it's time to move on.

Here are a few things we've had to deal with over the past couple of months with the host:

-Moved to new dedicated server, hardware failure on day 1
-DH failed to migrate some of the data to the new server
-Less than two months later, they unexpectedly move us to a new server, causing more downtime
-Their email clusters have been problematic for a few months now (they can't even manage their own email services)
-They handled a recent DMCA report very badly. Instead of giving us time to respond to the report and deal with it, they decided to do it themselves and just completely disable a portion of the site.
-Connection routing issues causing even more downtime (such as today)

To further explain the problems we encounter with DH for those that are familiar with system administration and web dev, we basically force ourselves to work in a "managed" environment. To get anything done, we have to gut their services and applications and pray we can get better versions of things installed. Their automated scripts that run are ancient and it feels like you're trying to defuse a bomb when trying to make sense of any of it. There's no such thing as a clean install with them. It's been madness.

As we move over to our new host, announcements like these should become less. Stability and peace of mind will be a nice change for once. I know the average fapper doesn't really care about this information, but I felt I should at least try to explain some of the things we have to deal with and why we have had so much shitty downtime lately.

ShotaCat

🚬
Administrator
Scanlations Team
Butt Bux
฿82,700
Enta Jinnai Kazuki Yasaka Toi Kuji Ikki
Very odd how about a server in the USA ? or do they cost more? , not saying I would start my own site
but something I don't understand about the DMCA report.
Generally, servers in the US cost much more. Unfortunately for us, most decent hosts in the US do not allow shota or are very finnicky about it. The host we're moving to tonight is the same host that's been used by places like ExHentai and some other similar sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom